Israel Rejects Trump's Gaza Proposal as Iran Advances Hormuz Agreement

World 11:21 PM - 2026-08-09
U.S. President Donald Trump listens as Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. AP

U.S. President Donald Trump listens as Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

U.S. Israel Iran

Israel on Sunday rejected a proposed agreement on Gaza announced by U.S. President Donald Trump, while further details emerged about a potential deal between Iran and Oman concerning the management of the Strait of Hormuz.

According to the reported framework, Tehran has indicated that vessels linked to countries it considers "hostile" would be barred from using the strategic waterway. Iran also announced changes to its senior national security leadership amid heightened regional tensions.

Meanwhile, Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi movement launched an attack on a government-controlled port along the Red Sea coast, raising fresh concerns over the security of one of the world's most important maritime trade routes.

The strike has intensified fears of renewed conflict in Yemen and increased risks to international shipping, as regional powers continue efforts to prevent further escalation across the Middle East.

Israel Rejects Trump's Gaza Proposal as Iran Advances Hormuz Agreement

Israel on Sunday rejected a proposed agreement on Gaza announced by US President Donald Trump, while further details emerged about a potential deal between Iran and Oman concerning the management of the Strait of Hormuz.

According to the reported framework, Tehran has indicated that vessels linked to countries it considers "hostile" would be barred from using the strategic waterway. Iran also announced changes to its senior national security leadership amid heightened regional tensions.

Meanwhile, Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi movement launched an attack on a government-controlled port along the Red Sea coast, raising fresh concerns over the security of one of the world's most important maritime trade routes.

The strike has intensified fears of renewed conflict in Yemen and increased risks to international shipping, as regional powers continue efforts to prevent further escalation across the Middle East.

“We remain committed to the road map,” said a member of the Hamas political bureau, Bassem Naim, according to the Associated Press. He added that the group expects mediators and the U.S. to pressure Netanyahu.

Meanwhile, Iran has appointed Mohsen Rezaei as the new secretary of its powerful Supreme National Security Council, according to state media, in the latest reshuffle of the country's senior leadership.

Rezaei, a former commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and military adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, succeeds Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr in the role.

The appointment comes as the council, one of Iran's highest decision-making bodies on security and foreign policy, continues to adapt following the loss of several senior officials during the recent conflict. Zolghadr, who assumed the position after the death of Ali Larijani in an Israeli strike in March, has now been appointed as a political adviser to the Supreme Leader.

Earlier this month, Rezaei said Iran would not permit any unauthorised passage through the Strait of Hormuz, reaffirming Tehran's position following its assertion of greater control over the strategic waterway after the war.

As for Hormuz Strait, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told reporters that negotiations with Oman about “new maritime routes” on the Strait of Hormuz were in the final stages but “this, however, does not mean that the Strait of Hormuz will reopen.” That step requires conditions that “have been conveyed through intermediaries.”

The Supreme National Security Council on Saturday said the strait will not reopen until the U.S. “corrects its behavior.” It demanded that the U.S. never threaten Iran again, a permanent end to the war with Iran and its armed allies, a lifting of the naval blockade of Iranian ports and a withdrawal of the U.S. military from the area. The U.S. also must “completely compensate” Iran for war damage, lift sanctions and “unconditionally” release frozen assets.

The United States did not comment on the demands. Trump on Sunday asserted to Axios that “we are only semi-negotiating” with Iran and letting economic pressures take their toll.

Araghchi said an “exchange of messages through intermediaries” continues with the U.S. but that doesn’t constitute negotiations, which he said can’t resume until violations of the interim deal end and the U.S. “has remedied” provisions it violated.



PUKMEDIA

see more

Most read

The News in your pocket

Download

Logo Application

Play Store App Store Logo
The News In Your Pocket